Tuesday 17 December 2019

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala



After spending a month in Mexico, we proceeded to Guatemala from Tapachula.

When I was at Tapachula, I was thinking it's just 128 km to Quetzaltenango so it shouldn't be so difficult, right? I was wrong! The border crossing from Mexico was very swift but not so for the Guatemalan side. It was slow. Even though there were only a few people there, we had to be at the border for 2.5 hours.

While riding on the QUE-03 main road in Guatemala, there was fog. The fog was so bad that I had to focus on the lane markings on the right side of the road so that I know whether to steer left or right. It was really a hairy situation. 20km/h with only 15 metres of visibility. There was a lot of tight turns that were sloppy as well.

What's more, there seem to be endless speed bumps that are similar in colour with the road and I missed spotting the speed bumps a number of times which made my buttocks hurt a lot.

With the fog and the endless speed bumps, we took 4 hours just to cover 128 km. To look on the bright side, we got there in daylight despite spending 7 hours on the road & border crossing. So if you want to cross Guatemala with daylight to spare, you must start the day early.

After a nice dinner and hot & crispy Churros from the street vendor, I am happy again!

After I had tried the Churros in Mexico and now in Guatemala, I must say that I prefer the ones in Guatemala that has Hershey's Chocolate topping on it.

- Written by Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment