Thursday 12 December 2019

Puig Equipment Review



Debbie has used a Puig touring windshield for 10 years while I used a Yamaha OEM stock windshield on our previous motorcycles, FZ6-S before Motovation Accessories sponsored us Puig engine guards, handguards, windshields and fender extenders for our 2 current Honda CB500X.

The Puig windshield cost half the price of the Yamaha OEM windshield, yet the product quality is equal. So, some years back, when I wanted to increase the windshield height further, I sought help from my regular mechanic in Singapore, Panjang Garage, to modify and bolt on 2 Puig windshield extensions together, doubling the extension's height to almost 20cm, and taking the product beyond its design parameters. It worked well up to 130km/hr, more than enough for riding for work in Singapore law-abidingly. This made me believe in Puig's engineering, especially in its windshields.

On the FZ6-S, we had also used Motovation sliders for 10 years, and our motorcycles survived a few skids and drops. On the current CB500X, I am glad to have Puig engine guards. The current windshield also deflects wind very well over my helmet and reduces wind noise without the need for any extensions, as the front end of the 500x is taller than the FZ6 with a more touring oriented design. I've heard of windshields breaking off its mounts on Argentina's Ruta 40 due to vibrations.

I'm curious how the Puig windshields and engine guards will fare on the roads South of Mexico, which will soon start to be more potholed and unpaved, and will update in time to come.

- Written by Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment