Friday 15 March 2019

Downsize our space. Upsize our lives.

The calm before the storm

15 March 2019 (Written by Debbie)

"We are all accumulating mountains of things," commented Mark A. Cohen, the director of retail studies at Columbia University's Graduate School of Business. I concur with his statement. More often than not, many of us would just pick up that cheap $2 USB cable or that $3 pair of socks without stopping to ponder how many of those items we already have in our abodes.

"Oh my gosh! I didn't know I have that!" A familiar remark that resonates with many of us while doing our customary spring cleaning just before Chinese New Year, Thanksgiving and other festive seasons.

Kelvin and I had to do more than that. We have to do a massive reduction of stuff as we have rented out our entire matrimonial home (a 4-room HDB public housing flat) and moved into a small room elsewhere that is probably half the size of a typical common room. The flat rental was done in advance to allow ample lead time for any contingencies that may crop up. Our space has been downsized at a moment's notice given the fast take-up of our flat.

Just when you think that new room is small, hold your horses! Our space will be downsized further in 7 months' time. We will only have the space of two motorcycles to transport whatever worldly possessions that we need. We will be travelling the world in 7 months' time which is in October 2019.

Do I feel unhappy with less possessions? It is a resounding no. On the contrary, I no longer feel laden. I feel that my life has been upgraded with an increased capacity to load up with experiences that I will gather on this upcoming world tour that do not clamour for space and last for a lifetime.

I will strive to be a hoarder of life's experiences, but a minimalist for space and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment